Saturday, March 5, 2011

Apples!

Ever since I moved back to Seattle I have been meaning to plant an apple tree, and this past week I finally got around to it. We had an apple tree at our place in Salt Lake City and I really liked having fresh apples, so I wanted to have something similar here in Seattle. Roanne and I headed to Swanson's Nursery in north Ballard and picked out a fine young specimen, with four different types of apple varieties grafted onto it. This way you don't need more than one apple tree to pollinate each other. Here I am breaking ground:


And here is the new inhabitant of our front yard:


So far it seems to be doing well, though we won't know for a few weeks how it is really doing when it (hopefully) develops some leaves. Apparently we won't have apples this fall, but there is a good chance that we will the year after. I'll post some more pictures once it gets some leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment